Superintendent, Water and Wastewater
Comp # MS-21-10
$46.77 - $57.52 hourly (market modifier included)
Do you consider yourself an ambitious and energetic leader? Do you have a strategic mindset and enjoy solving complex problems? If so, we’d like to introduce you to our full time Superintendent, Water and Wastewater position!
Reporting to the Utilities Manager, under general direction, plans, organizes and directs the City’s water, wastewater, and stormwater field operations, including operations and maintenance of water and wastewater treatment facilities, water distribution, wastewater collection and stormwater infrastructure.
You are the ideal candidate if…
- You lead by example and enjoy mentoring
- You have an understanding of municipal processes
- Have high standards for health and safety
- Have good communication skill
- Are transparent and inquisitive
- Demonstrates empathy when needed
- Are action and results driven
- Assess and prioritize needs
- Are willing to learn with a desire to excel
Team Direction/Coordination/Planning 40%
- Plans, organizes, and directs operations and maintenance activities for the City’s water, wastewater and stormwater infrastructure including, but not limited to, preventive maintenance activities at facilities, catch basin cleaning, valve turning program, flushing, hydrant maintenance, jetting, meter installation/maintenance and account shutoffs, and repairs and maintenance work.
- Utilizing drawings, blueprints, GIS data, specifications, and work orders among other tools, effectively plans and lays out specific work activities for utilities personnel/crews to meet timelines and productivity goals in consultation with supervisor and Leads,
- Supervises utilities water and wastewater operations and maintenance staff; develops schedules and methods for performing assigned duties and allocates labour resources to cost-effectively complete operations and maintenance activities for the vertical and linear infrastructure.
- Develops, reviews, and modifies procedures as required, including implementation, to ensure utilities personnel are maximizing (or working toward maximizing) value for ratepayers in accordance with City policies and procedures and in accordance with direction from the Manager of Utilities, as well as Leadership and Senior Leadership Teams.
- In conjunction with the Leads and other City personnel, supports the Manager, General Manager and City Manager in budgeting processes including, but not limited to: emergency expenditure justifications; business cases; capital charters; and utility rate models.
- Work with Leads and other City staff as required to confirm compliance with the City’s Water Act and EPEA approvals.
- In conjunction with the Leads and other City personnel, supports the Manager, General Manager and City Manager in planning and implementation of department programs and initiatives.
- Performance Management; coaches and mentor’s junior staff; sets goals and completes annual staff evaluations
Field Work 40%
- Ability to lead and supervise a crew in the more complex and technical construction and maintenance activities required for cost-effective asset management of the City’s water, wastewater, and stormwater infrastructure.
- Ensures that existing utilities have been located and marked appropriately and all required permits are acquired (e.g., OneCalls and private locates).
- Obtains necessary materials and supplies for current jobs and places special orders for “hard-to-get” or back-ordered materials and supplies.
- Supervise, demonstrate, and complete as required:
- water plant operations and maintenance activities for pumps, valves, and process equipment, chemical handling and dosing, jar testing, etc.,
- wastewater plant (aerated lagoon) operations and maintenance activities for berms valves, lagoon, etc.,
- flushing/jetting of water and sewer mains; valve operations; inspect /repair manholes and catch basins;
- fire hydrant inspection maintenance and repair;
- scheduled water /sewer sampling
- thaw, troubleshoot, excavate and repair/replace water and sewer service lines, mains, valves, storm water collection appurtenances
- Install/repair test/read water meters
- Camera, snake sanitary sewer services
- lift Station, pumphouse and reservoir operations and maintenance activities including routine maintenance of pumps, screens, generators, etc.
- Perform daily, weekly, monthly, etc. water and sewer Station checks, consistently spot mechanical/electrical problems, perform and/or schedule routine maintenance
Safety/Customer Service 20%
- Deal with customer complaints or questions, or re-direct them as appropriate
- Participate in City Safety Program including JHA, Site inspections and
- Lead role in helping to create, edit and mentor operators through developing and using SOP’s
Education and Work Experience
- Grade 12 completion and must hold Alberta Environment Certification
- Level 2 Water Distribution
- Level 2 Wastewater Collection
- Level 3 Water Treatment preferred (Level 2 acceptable if willing to work toward Level 3)
- Level 1 Wastewater Treatment
- Valid Alberta Driver's License, minimum Class 5 or equivalent and Air Brake endorsement. Class 3 or higher preferred.
- Must have significant experience in water treatment and/or distribution and wastewater collection and/or treatment, preferably 7 years or more, preferably in a municipal setting.
- Experienced in supervising and training junior Operators.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Proven ability to use judgment to analyze and resolve complex problems with diverse implications; ability to develop new procedures and plans to address problems and improve efficiencies considering the long-term implications of decisions and actions. Innovative thinker with the ability to influence and persuade others and build trust and common understanding required to implement change.
- Proven ability to work cooperatively with others and skilled in resolving disagreements and preventing the escalation of conflict.
- Ability to manage a complex portfolio of work while establishing ambitious and challenging goals; demonstrates persistence in overcoming obstacles.
- Sound ability to supervise, coach and guide others while enhancing individual and team effectiveness. Ability to mentor and foster the development of direct reports.
Close Date: April 30, 2021.
The City of Wetaskiwin is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
The personal information submitted pursuant to this advertisement will be utilized for this Employment Opportunity only and is subject to compliance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Applicants are thanked in advance for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.