Job Type: Temporary Full-Time
Location: Rocky View County, Alberta
Number of Positions: 1
Salary: $39.25 – $46.00/hour
The 40,000 people who call Rocky View County home live in a diverse blend of rural, hamlet, and country residential communities on one million acres to the west, north, and east of Calgary. Our dedicated employees work with a variety of stakeholders to develop innovative and unique solutions for our complex municipality. To continue to enhance the quality of life in our communities, we seek individuals who thrive on challenges, who provide excellent customer service in a fast-paced environment, and whose positive energy enables the County to grow and prosper.
Reporting to the Director, Legislative Services, the Returning Officer acts as the project manager for the 2021 Rocky View County Municipal Election ensuring all activities are conducted in compliance with the Local Authorities Election Act.
- Effectively manage the election project using industry standards for project management including the development of project scope, schedule, cost, plan, and using appropriate tools and techniques to monitor and control the execution of the project.
- Ensure an adequate number of voting stations are reserved and set up within the County’s seven divisions for the Advance Vote and Election Day adhering to any health and safety requirements.
- Contribute to the identification and prioritization of potential risks and help develop strategies and controls to mitigate these risks.
- Manage emerging project issues using appropriate tools.
- Monitor, review and apply the Local Authorities Election Act and any other legislative requirements as communicated by Alberta Municipal Affairs and Elections Alberta.
- Coordinate with Rocky View School Division in executing any agreements and trustees’ vote.
- Coordinate with Elections Alberta regarding the Senate Nominee ballot and any provincially mandated referendum ballots.
- Regularly communicate the status of the project and emerging issues of importance.
- Serve as the primary contact for candidates and the public and respond to inquiries and complaints.
- Build and maintain effective relationships with a wide range of employees and stakeholders, coordinating internal resources, consultants, contractors and vendors.
- Work collaboratively with the Marketing and Communications Department to ensure legislative advertising requirements are met.
- Administer the candidate nomination process and third party registration process.
- Procure all necessary supplies and ballots to conduct the election and conduct post-election day materials clean-up and coordination.
- Work collaboratively with the Human Resources department to recruit, train and supervise election workers.
- Design and deliver engaging election training content, training materials and information sessions for online and in-person training sessions.
- Compile results and conduct all legislatively required reporting to the Province.
Post-secondary diploma or equivalent, project management experience.
- High degree of computer literacy, skilled with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Exceptional leadership, collaboration and team skills, demonstrating initiative, sound judgment, the ability to work independently and problem solving expertise.
- Demonstrate above-average skills in written communication including the composition of memos and reports, and in grammar, spelling and clarity.
- Experience interpreting legislation.
- Experience facilitating and coordinating work with multiple stakeholders. Strong organizational and time management skills including managing workloads and working effectively under the pressure of time limitations and constraints.
- Experience designing training and delivering to large groups.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Possess a valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License.
- Able to repeatedly lift up to 20 lbs.
- Able to show initiative in identifying areas for improvement and determine innovative solutions.
- A solid knowledge of municipal legislative processes and requirements and demonstrated business political acumen skills.
- Experience project managing an election or census (municipal, provincial or federal) or large-scale (100+ persons) event planning (asset).
- Working knowledge of the Local Authorities Election Act (asset).
- Experience working at an election (municipal, provincial or federal) (asset).
- Experience dealing with the media (asset).
Interested applicants are invited to apply direct to https://www.rockyview.ca/careers.
Applications are due by 10 pm MST on the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.