We are looking for an individual with the great skills and traits noted below to add to our fantastic Parks and Agricultural Services team. This individual will bring their enthusiasm for collaboration, energy and expertise in relations to the Public Lands including Parks and Cemeteries within Kneehill County, as well as their fun sense of humor. This is a full-time permanent position working 40 hours/week, you may be required to work weekends and/or evenings to accommodate meetings and peak demands.
Welcome to Kneehill County!
Situated in the heart of central Alberta, Kneehill County is a progressive rural municipality comprised of approximately 814,653 acres of land and a population of 5001. Within the Kneehill County boundaries, are the Towns of Three Hills and Trochu, Villages of Acme, Carbon, and Linden, and 4 Hamlets (Torrington, Huxley, Swalwell, Wimborne) and other neighborhoods (Hesketh,Sunnyslope) with a total population of 11,193.
Today, agriculture remains the backbone of the local economy, complemented by a strong oil and gas industry. Wind power is now a fixture in the Kneehill County hills and skies. We are also part of the Canadian Badlands tourism group. Kneehill County borders the Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller and Rosebud Theatre in Wheatland County, which both play a large part in the tourism of the region. Camping is very popular in our area, which Kneehill County has four overnight campgrounds under its umbrella (Keivers,Braconnier Dam, Swalwell, and Torrington). Municipal campgrounds in Acme, Carbon, Linden and Three Hills are all very busy.
Reporting to and in consultation with the Manager of Parks and Agricultural Services, the Public Lands Coordinator administers components of the department including Parks, Agricultural Services and Cemeteries, with focus on parks and cemeteries. The position also provides parks, cemeteries & public lands expertise as directed to boards, committees, ratepayers, and rural and inter-municipal partners. This position also works in coordination with the Land Care Coordinator in assisting with Agricultural Service Board (ASB) programming as needed.
- Contributes to the strategic planning of Kneehill County parks by conducting research, collecting information or data about the sites, and providing input to manager
- Conducts the hiring of seasonal staff in consultation with the manager
- In alignment with policy, procedure and bylaw requirements, coordinates the maintenance and mowing of parks, cemeteries, and hamlets
- Routinely communicates with the Manager to ensure programming is being administered suitably and that any required adjustments are made
- Assists the Manager with the completion of special projects
- In consultation with the Manager, coordinate between outside organizations, stakeholders and all levels of County staff during special and major projects as required.
- Leads seasonal staff and act as field level contact to campground park hosts in organizing and assigning tasks, fielding staff inquiries, motivating team members, assisting with or completing special projects, and ensuring County policy and bylaws are strictly adhered to
- In addition to leading seasonal staff, supervises a full-time shared role between Parks and Facilities, which provides support to the Parks department during field season
- Administer locates and marking of cemetery plots and arrange for snow removal/grass cutting for funerals
- Assist the Manager in policy, procedure and bylaw development and review.
- Assist the Manager with grant applications for parks, cemeteries, and others
- Degree or technical diploma in environmental sciences/studies, horticulture, or agricultural studies
- 1-2 years of Supervisory experience
- Background in related fields such as Landscape, Parks, Public Lands, or Environmental and Conservation work.
- Strong computer skills in all Microsoft Office Suite of programs
- Working experience with ArcGIS and GPS would be considered an asset
- Good mechanical aptitude
- Strong technical writing skills and experience
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written, communication skills
- Agricultural pest & weed identification and knowledge as it pertains to the acts.
- Hold or be eligible to obtain an Alberta Pesticide Applicator Certificate of qualification in the categories of industrial, agriculture and landscape; including license to issue pest control products (Form 7 from Alberta Agriculture) 1 to 2 years’ experience in this area as an asset.
- Valid Alberta Class 5 driving license
- Experience towing trailers, operating heavy duty equipment and off-road vehicles
- Ability to perform physical requirements of the position (lifting up to 50 lbs.)
- Clear understanding of the Acts under which the department operates including the ASB Act, Alberta Weed Control Act, Pest Control Act, Soil Conservation Act, Animal Health Act, and Cemetery’s act.
- Communication-verbal and written
- Interpersonal Relationships
- Organizational Skills
- Computer Knowledge
- Multi-tasking ability
- Ability to lead with confidence
- Teamwork participation and development
What do we offer?
- Competitive pay (Starting annual wage $75,006)
- Group Health Benefits
- Local Authority Pension Plan
- Engaging and empowering work environment
- Strong policies and supportive atmosphere
- Open Door policy for ideas and creativity
- Fun and friendly co-workers
- Training Opportunities
Does this sound like you? Are you interested in getting to know us better?
Check out our website: https://kneehillcounty.com/
Think you may want to join our team?
Send an introductory letter, along with your resume providing examples of your most exciting achievements, as well as one story that highlights your community spirit or positive personality. This letter should also provide information as to how you match our list of qualifications and/or skill sets.
Attention: Jessie Kasha – HR Coordinator
RE: Public Lands Coordinator
Mailing Address: PO Box 400, Three Hills, Alberta, T0M 2A0
Closing Date: April 30, 2021
We thank all applicants in advance, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. COVID-19 Protocols will be adhered to during this process.