The Government of Alberta is committed to a diverse and inclusive public service that reflects the population we serve to best meet the needs of Albertans. Consider joining a team where diversity, inclusion and innovation are valued and supported. For more information on diversity and inclusion, please visit: https://www.alberta.ca/diversity-inclusion-policy.aspx
Under the Municipal Government Act, the Minister of Municipal Affairs is the council for the improvement districts and as such must at all times ensure accountable, transparent, effective and efficient administration and governance for each improvement district.
Reporting to the Manager of Municipal Advisory, the Municipal Advisor - Improvement Districts is a member of an advisory team which has key day to day “first contact” with the public, municipal administrators and councillors, other departments and associations.
The primary focus is to ensure that Alberta's improvement districts are administered in compliance with the Municipal Government Act (MGA), and that high standards of accountability, effectiveness and efficiency are maintained. Of the eight improvement districts, seven are under the management and oversight of the Minister of Municipal Affairs. Each have differing levels of oversight responsibilities for the incumbent, ranging from the most significant appointment as the Chief Administrative Officer with full administrative responsibility legislated in the MGA, to the less complex requirement of oversight and monitoring.
As a secondary focus, the Municipal Advisor – Improvement Districts strengthens the capacity and sustainability of Alberta municipalities, enhances municipal operational effectiveness and aids in building the level of understanding and confidence that Albertans have with the local government by providing advice and information to elected and appointed municipal officials and to the public. The incumbent enhances municipal operational effectiveness and improves local decision-making by delivering training to elected and appointed municipal officials to effectively plan and govern according to the processes and procedures in provincial legislation and according to recognized effective municipal governance, management, and operational best practices.
This position also deals with departmental, municipal and public concerns regarding practices of municipal government and, where required, uses appropriate departmental regulatory powers to address municipal issues to enhance local government transparency and accountability to their citizens and the province.
This position performs work in accordance with relevant government and ministry legislation, regulations, policies and guidelines and at times, significant travel is required with the improvement district administration and to provide overall municipal training or advisory visits.
A university degree in a related field supplemented by a minimum of 4 years of progressively responsible experience directly related to the administration of local governments and/or the applications of provincial legislation applicable to local governments – the Municipal Government Act, the Local Authorities Election Act and the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and their regulations.
- Certification in local government from the University of Alberta Extension program or equivalent; or the National Advanced Certificate in Local Authority Administration.
- Understanding of the interests and perspectives of stakeholders, including local governments, the provincial government (departments and agencies), and the public.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to summarize and synthesize complex materials, identify key issues, and develop communications responses and solutions required.
- In-depth knowledge of provincial legislation applicable to municipalities with a strong focus on the Municipal Government Act, the Local Authorities Election Act and the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and their regulations, with specific emphasis on the roles and responsibilities of council and administration
- In-depth knowledge of municipal operation, procedures and administration and effective management practices
- In-depth knowledge of roles and responsibilities of council and administration
- In-depth knowledge of effective governance and management practices, procedures within a municipal government environment
- Equivalent experience in lieu of education will be considered on the basis of 1 year of experience equal to 1 year of education.
Apply directly online at: www.alberta.ca/employment-jobs.aspx - Closing Date: April 19, 2021 - Job Requisition ID: 6983
If you are unable to apply online, please contact: Izumi Nakamura at Izumi.Nakamura@gov.ab.ca
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements.
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) https://www.alberta.ca/iqas-overview.aspx. It is recommended that applicants include the assessment certificate from IQAS or any other educational assessment service as part of their application.
Tips for Applicants: https://www.alberta.ca/alberta-public-service-hiring-process.aspx