We are looking for someone who will direct the supervision of staff and provide operational direction to the activities related to the management of Water and Wastewater Services; and sustain these services without interruption while remaining in compliance with all applicable regulatory.
You are a Certified Engineering Technologist (CET) with ASET with a valid AENV Level II or III Operator Certificates in Water Treatment, Wastewater Collection and Water Distribution. Your 7+ years of professional experience, preferably in Municipal setting, included progressive acceptance of greater responsibilities, duties, and supervision of others; and 5+ years of supervisory experience preferably within a unionized environment.
Reporting to the General Manager of Infrastructure and Operational Services, this position is accountable for the leading a team by fostering an environment that reinforces the Town of Cochrane’s culture and organizational values. Provides operational direction to achieve business goals and management of Water and Waste Water Services to sustain services without interruption while remaining in compliance with all applicable regulatory bodies including Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP) and Environment Canada (EC). Work will be guided by an array of Town of Cochrane’s policies, plans, and bylaws, as well as legislation and environmental regulations.
As the Manager, Water and Wastewater you will:
- Develop and implement short/long term plans for the effective and sustainable operations of the Water & Wastewater infrastructure while ensuring alignment with the Cochrane Sustainability Plan, Water & Wastewater Master Plan and Strategic Plan.
- Provide leadership, coaching and training for the Water & Wastewater team. Be responsible for workforce planning, performance management and ensures continuing staff development to maintain a high level of knowledge and skill to meet performance standards.
- Create a positive and respectful team-oriented environment through employee development, engagement, motivation and conflict resolution.
- Develop and manage the annual Water & Wastewater section budgets and business plans, including rate setting, processing of accounts receivable/payable, invoicing, cost and contract negotiations.
- Maintain compliance with workplace Health and Safely Policies and Procedures to ensure all staff work in a safe manner through training/education activities, assigned Personal Protective Equipment and equipment operation. Identify, report and develop plans to mitigate Health & Safety risks, accidents, incidents, injuries and damage.
- Works in collaboration with consultants, planners and engineers in the design and development of the Town of Cochrane’s existing and proposed underground infrastructure and treatment and pumping systems to address current and future infrastructure systems.
- Be accountable for the preparation of formal tenders, invitations to quote, and requests for proposals for services and developments required for Water & Wastewater systems.
- Collaborate with other departments/division to achieve organizational goals and objectives.
- Represent the Town of Cochrane for all official business including, but not limited to Council Meetings and community events.
- Assume General Manager accountabilities when delegated authority.
If many of the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!:
- Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology or related field with focus on municipal engineering.
- Valid AENV Level II or III Operator Certificates in Water Treatment, Collection, and Distribution.
- 7 years experience demonstrating progressive accountabilities, preferably in Municipal setting.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of municipal and environmental engineering, and considerable knowledge of recent developments, current literature, and sources of information related to municipal and environmental engineering.
- Minimum Five years of supervisory experience working in union environment and demonstrated experience in building positive labour relations and grievance management.
- Previous experience in cost projections and budgeting.
- Uses comprehensive knowledge of Water & Wastewater processes to direct and verify operations of Water & Wastewater infrastructure in accordance with AEP guidelines.
- Demonstrated track record of achieving performance objectives by motivating and engaging to high performance standards.
- Business management acumen to plan, initiate and prioritize operational plans and directives.
- Advanced computer proficiency, related software including Microsoft Office, Excel, Word, Outlook.
- Proven supervisory skills to coach, mentor and appraise employees in a unionized environment.
- Ability to interpret and understand engineering drawings and effective use of GIS.
- Mechanical aptitude.
- Strong understanding of basic sciences related to water systems operation.
- Strong applied math skills.
- Analytical skills and the ability to understand analyze and report technical information.
- Budget preparation skills.
- Ability to create comprehensive business documents including status reports, policies, procedures, and request for proposals.
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary high paced environment will be considered as an asset.
- Valid Alberta Class 5 Driver’s License with air brake endorsement. Class 3 preferred.
- Standard First Aid/CPR, WHIMIS, and confined space entry/fall arrest certificate, H2S Alive
- FOIP Certification.
- ICS 100.
- Training related to, but not all inclusive: Defensive Driving; Work zone safety, and flag person training; Prime contractor; Leadership for safety excellence.
The Town of Cochrane is committed to providing a healthy and safe work environment for all of its employees. As a Town of Cochrane employee you must take reasonable care to protect your health and safety and that of others present at Town worksites, perform work safely, follow all relevant health and safety legislation, Town directives and procedures and attend all identified orientations and training.
Why should you consider working for us?
- Our vision is to be proud of Cochrane’s heritage, embracing our future, we are a dynamic organization creating municipal excellence. We welcome you to be a part of that municipal excellence as we grow from “How the West is Now” and look for innovative opportunities.
- We welcome creative and skilled individuals to join our team; we uphold values of financial, social and environmental sustainability, and are committed to serving the community.
- Our employees enjoy many benefits including competitive public sector pay, comprehensive health and dental benefits package, professional learning and development opportunities and the opportunity to work with other talented municipal professionals.
- If hired, our total compensation package includes: Competitive public sector pay, Comprehensive health and dental benefits, Professional learning and development opportunities, Wellness programs, Pension and saving plans.
How to apply:
- Qualified individuals are encouraged to submit your resume, and a letter stating how your experience match the required qualifications, skills and abilities for this position
- All qualified candidates will be requested to complete an online suitability survey
- Applications for this position will be accepted until 9pm MST April 18, 2021 at www.cochrane.ca/jobs
The Town of Cochrane adheres to guidelines as set by Alberta Heath Services in response to the COVID-19 Pandemic. Working arrangements and interview location may evolve throughout the recruitment process.