Community Services Department is seeking a strong leader to manage Devon’s recreation, parks and culture facilities, events, programs and services to support individuals, families, organizations and the community in their health and well-being. This position is responsible for building partnerships and capacities within the community through locally driven, educational, and social initiatives that meet the varying parks, recreation and culture needs of community members.
The person we are searching for is a relationship builder and a problem-solver who has excellent communication and negotiation skills. The Manager of Recreation, Parks and Culture will apply solid understanding of facility operation, team building, and stakeholder relationship management skills in order to manage and evaluate the needs of our residents and assist in strategically moving Devon forward.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Responsible for shaping the strategic objectives required for the effective operation of the facilities and delivery of services
- Implement policies, procedures, and ensure compliance of operational short and long-term goals with overall Town objectives
- Ensure the coordination and successful execution of community recreation, sports events, major events and entertainment that meet contractual obligations and customer service standards
- Prepare, recommend, implement and monitor detailed budgets for Parks, Recreation, the Dale Fisher Arena, the Devon Community Pool, and Community Centre
- Manage, train, evaluate and motivate reporting employees in accordance with policies, directives, and ensure relevant procedures are followed to develop a knowledgeable and exceptional team
- Liaise with other Managers and Supervisors to understand necessary aspects and needs of facilities and operational development and ensures they are fully informed of the facility and operational objectives and achievements
- Ensure recreation facilities and are safely operated and maintained, ensuring all standards and codes are met
- Write reports and make presentations to Council and other public meetings
- Establish and maintain effective and positive working relationships with community organizations, employees, contractors, and the general public
- Promote the Town’s Health and Safety program and oversee the safety and well-being of staff and patrons
- A Post-secondary degree related to the recreation field such as recreation, athletics and/or community development or relevant experience.
- Five years’ or more of progressive experience in recreation operations, administration, business planning, and budgeting of recreation facilities. This shall include a demonstrated background in community development and engagement, not-for profit sector, marketing, or public relations. An equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be directly related may be considered
- Strong proven leadership experience managing teams, leading people through change, and delivering high quality outcomes in dynamic environments
- Knowledgeable of all aspects of general building maintenance with knowledge of construction, safety codes, standards and regulations, maintenance methods, techniques and standards relative to facilities.
- Considerable knowledge and experience with contractors and project management
- Effective liaison and negotiation skills with potentially complex and highly emotive situations
- Previous experience with budget planning, preparation and control of a recreation facility
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite is required, and experience with a wide range of computer systems and software, including Adobe Acrobat, and other business-related software is considered an asset
- Successful candidate will be occasionally required to work on the weekends and/or stat holidays for Council meetings and/or meetings with user groups.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
The successful candidate will be required to provide a 5-year Drivers Abstract verifying safe and responsible driving behaviour and will also need to provide a cleared Criminal Record Check with vulnerable sector.
This full-time, permanent position offers a competitive benefits package, and a 37.5-hour work week. Typical hours for this position will be between 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Posting Deadline: March 12, 2021 at 12 p.m.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interested applicants can apply for this position at devon.ca/jobs.