Competition number: 079-2021-EXT-2021
Closing date: 03/23/2021
Job type: Permanent Full-time
Pay range: $58.72 to $73.41 per hour ($106,870 to $133,606 per year)
Hours: 35 hours per week
Do you have extensive transit operations and leadership experience? Are you looking for a challenging and exciting role within a progressive and forward-thinking transit environment?
If so, come join the Strathcona Transit team to lead the conventional transit operations team!
Reporting to the Director, Transit, you will be responsible for managing a team of over 90 and handle conventional bus operations, regulatory compliance, budget input and implementation, and emergency operations. As a member of the Transit Leadership Team, you will contribute to the strategic direction of transit services and provide advice regarding operational matters.
- Direct the overall delivery and management of conventional bus operations
- Direct the recruitment, selection, training, and development of all staff of the Conventional Transit Branch
- Establish priorities and direct the activities of the Conventional Transit Branch to align with the department’s vision, mission and values
- Provide excellence in personal leadership that establishes and maintains a highly engaged and effective team
- Develop a strong working relationship with Fleet Services, including management of the Service Level Agreement, and identification of required changes to bus types and vehicle features during procurement cycles
- Manage the Department's Operating Authority Certificates and required permits
- Lead the department's participation in civic emergency response; act as the transit designate in the Emergency Operations Centre
- Develop strong working relationships with peers in the department, staff in other departments, and staff at neighbouring transit agencies (Edmonton Transit, Regional Transit Services Commission)
- Exercise strong fiscal management including development of the branch's annual budgets, monitor and manage financial resources, and review and report the branch's performance measures
- Support strong working relationships between Administration and Council by working with Councillors directly, as required
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to analyze information and make sound decisions quickly, often in difficult conditions
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills in organizational management, team building, mentoring, and mediation
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills with a solution-oriented focus and the ability to develop productive relationships with all levels of management, employees and the public
- Strong time management and project management skills
- Ability to develop and administer complex bus operator shift schedules and working conditions
- Completion of a University/College level program in Business Administration, Public Sector Management, Transportation, Logistics, or other related field
- Minimum of 10 years of progressive experience with at least 5 years' supervisory experience in transit operations and/or labour relations
- Demonstrated leadership and management experience, including strong communication and team building capabilities
- Detailed knowledge of transit operational policies and procedures
- Proficiency in computer systems and applications, including Microsoft Office suite
Conditions of Employment
- Valid Alberta Class 5 Driver’s licence and submission of a 5-year Driver’s Abstract with less than 7 demerits
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered. In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials as noted in the resume.
To apply, go to our website.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #079-2021-EXT-TRN closes March 23, 2021
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
Candidates are encouraged to submit a cover letter along with their resume.