The Lesser Slave Lake Regional Waste Management Services Commission is currently seeking a full-time Landfill Manager. Reporting to the Commission Manager, or his/her designate, this is a working management position responsible for the Management and Site operations of the Regional Landfill, including office/scale operations, yard, transfer, and landfill maintenance of the Lesser Slave Lake Regional Waste Management facility. The incumbent will provide the lead role of identification/screening of wastes entering the facility for compliance, collection of fees and diplomatically manages patrons to the appropriate disposal or storage locations and manages on-site staff where required.
- Ensures the Waste Management Facility operates in accordance with the “Approval” as issued by Alberta Environment and is operated in compliance with the operations plan and all applicable Provincial Legislation and Regulations.
- Must adhere to all safety standards under the Occupational Health & Safety Act and pursuant regulations, Ensures Health and Safety policy is followed and that all appropriate documents are filled out and filed and turned into the Commission Manager as appropriate.
- Oversees and performs those duties of the Landfill Attendants as required.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service skills and portrays excellent leadership and sound judgment when dealing with the public and service providers.
- Prepares and assists the Commission Manager with the yearly operational and capital budget process.
- Maintains billing records and cash collections including internal on-site audits.
- Operation of the office computer software for the scale, including making corrections, inserting weights and printing off tickets and preparing reports.
- Monitors day to day and seasonal expenses, as per current procurement policies, to help keeping facility operations within budget.
- Follows the operational requirements of the site as per the current Approved Operational Manual and conditional operating permit as amended from time to time.
- Manages site inspections, monitors compaction rates, and litter reduction methods.
- Manages and monitors methods of burial and cover of working face.
- Manages storage compounds and maintenance of recyclable materials and programs.
- Ensures proper preventative maintenance, repairs and operation, of all equipment, according to current practice written procedures are performed and/or documented.
- Ensures staff are oriented and familiar with all tools and equipment before use; operate equipment and tools competently and in a safe manner.
- Responsible for other duties as assigned by the Commission Manager.
- Valid Alberta Class 5 Driver’s License (class 3 with Air Endorsement preferred)
- Grade 12 high school diploma
- Possess current Alberta MOLO certificate (or ability to obtain)
- Possess current Transfer site Operators Certificate
- TDG Certification and WHMIS Training
- First Aid/CPR certification
Abilities & Experience:
- 5 years landfill operations experience
- 2 years Supervisory experience
- Willingness to work in all types of weather and outdoor conditions
- Must have the ability to operate and maintain large construction equipment, i.e., packer, crawler, track-hoe
- Small equipment experience, including mowers, tractors, and lawn care equipment is an asset
- Demonstrated positive interpersonal skills in working with co-workers and supervise with competent oral and written communication skills
- Proficient computer skills and understanding of varied software (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Physically fit
- Possess own form of transportation
- Ability to ensure all work-related information is kept confidential as per policy and in accordance with Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act Proficient in writing, reading and math skills
Wage Range: Dependent on education and experience. Based on a 40-hour work week.
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing “Competition # RL-001” in the subject line or submit in confidence by hard copy mailed to the address indicated below.
Municipal District of Lesser Slave River #124
Slave Lake, AB T0G 2A0
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.