Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, The Economic Development Officer (EDO) promotes economic growth and sustainability within the community. The EDO supports and encourages existing businesses while working to attract new business to the community. The position is responsible for the planning and handling the activities and operations of the Town of Blackfalds Economic Development programs and initiatives for business promotion, expansion, and retention. The EDO provides leadership and active participation on the Economic Development and Tourism Advisory Committee (EDTAC) and provides accurate development and economic growth-related information to the public and developers. Coordination of assigned activities with other Municipal departments and outside agencies, maintaining regular contact with the community / public in situations that require tact and judgment and, representing the Municipality in negotiations and mediations. The EDO provides guidance to Council, Committees, Senior Leadership, and Public.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Entrepreneurial focused
- Interpersonal and public relations skills focusing on community networking, business collaboration and fostering partnerships
- Exceptional communication skills
- Innovative with strong decision-making skills
- Accountable & dependable
- Proven leadership skills and mediation & negotiation skills
Economic Development – Strategy & Planning
Participate in business planning, strategic planning, research initiatives and performance management for specific initiatives in support of economic development, often through the activity of EDTAC.
- Develop strategic plans and implement the economic development initiatives and programs as identified in the Municipal Sustainability Plan and the Economic Strategic Plan.
- Participate in the development of economic development strategies, objectives and long-range plans fora unified economic development attraction program
- Assist in the development of strategic plans by researching facilitating, coordinating, implement and evaluating major policy and program initiatives which align with long term economic development strategies.
- Monitors and examines market conditions and emerging trends which may l=impact existing and potential economic development and recommend appropriate action.
- Evaluate and report on the impact of government legislative policy and program changes. Revises strategies, programs and initiatives accordingly.
Economic Development & Tourism
Leads a range of programs, services, initiatives, and activities including (but not limited to) business outreach, local economic development, business improvement area management project facilitation, community economic development workforce development and special projects either through own initiative or with the EDTAC.
- Oversee and coordinate the Town’s economic development effort.
- Acts as key liaison and facilitator for the Blackfalds Economic Development and Tourism Committee providing direction and leadership.
- Source and champion special events in collaboration with the community and Town departments.
- Participate and represent the Town of Blackfalds in regional economic planning activities where required including working with CAEP.
- Provide customer service and serve as a resource to citizens, entrepreneurs, brokers, landowners, prospects, retailers, developers, and organizations acting as an advocate for business.
- Attend and participate in professional group meetings; stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of economic development and commercial real estate.
- Assist in the negotiation of agreements and contracts with the recruitment process of prospective business within the Municipality.
- Develop and assist in the development and implementation of Town goals, objectives and policies / procedures related to economic activities & programs.
- Work collaboratively with the Planning & Development Manager, Marketing Manager / Coordinator, other Municipal staff members in economic development initiatives.
- Prepare periodic analytical and statistical reports indicating related activities and progress towards goals and objectives for Council, and CAO. Advise on issues related to the improvement and enhancement of the commercial tax base.
- Participate in the preparation and administration of the economic development program budget and Develop budgetary plans and controls to facilitate economic development programs and activities.
Economic Development – Internal / External Relations
- Develops and manages relationships with internal and external stakeholders, ensuring divisional strategies are managed and economic development performance expectations are fulfilled.
- Establish and maintain contacts with commercial real estate brokers, developers, and landowners within the Municipality to encourage retail and commercial sales tax generating development.
- Collaborates and partners with local area urban and rural municipalities, industry stakeholders, academic institutions, and Provincial Governments to develop and support joint economic development action plans and initiatives.
- Participates in external and industry committee representing the needs o the Town and advancing common goals and objectives.
- Network with the Blackfalds Chamber of Commerce and other Community groups to promote business.
- Represent the Town of Blackfalds at trade shows and other related functions where the Municipality chooses to participate.
Economic Development – Projects
- Initiatives and champions special projects for sector specific development, often in partnership with external organizations. Manages all aspects of the development and implementation of economic and business development initiatives, managing project life cycle activities.
- Conduct and manage special projects and work with outside agencies and professional consultants as required.
Economic Development – Communications
- Enhance, promote and protect the image of the Town of Blackfalds through assisting in the initiation, development and delivery of appropriate communication strategies.
- Collaborate with the Marketing and Communications Division when necessary in the creation and maintenance of internal and external Municipal communications including news media releases, public service announcements, statements, speeches, brochures, newsletters, etc. in a timely and effective manner.
- Continuously foster community relations by attending events as needed.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Post-Secondary Degree - in Business Administration, Economic Development, Commerce, Marketing, Communications, or equivalent field of study.
- Minimum of 5 years of direct work experience in Economic Development, tourism or related field.
- Strong working knowledge of principles and practices of economic development policy, administration, and implementation.
- Strong working knowledge of operations, services, and activities of a comprehensive municipal economic development program.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles of effective communications, publicity, advertising, policies, education, community relations, organization structure, and government relations, as they relate to the municipal sector.
- Computer literacy, including effective working skills of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, e-mail, Adobe desktop publishing and web-authoring products.
- Strong working knowledge of the principles and practices of negotiation of sensitive issues related to economic development.
- Strong working knowledge of principles and practices of site selection criteria and general construction principles.
- RCMP Criminal Record Check.
- Valid Driver’s License with current Drivers Abstract.
The Town of Blackfalds is an equal opportunity employer and encourages individuals interested in this position to submit a cover letter and résumé on our applicant tracking system - Town of Blackfalds Career page.
Please submit your cover letter and resume via our applicant tracking system: