The Town of Sylvan Lake is a lakeside town in Central Alberta of over 14,000 people and growing. With close proximity to the major centers of Red Deer, Calgary and Edmonton, we can offer the amenities of larger center with the relaxed living atmosphere offered by a smaller community. With abundant year round recreational and cultural activities, we have definitely earned the name of “Brilliant All Year!” We are a growing and thriving municipality and as such the organization continues to move ahead in a progressive manner.
Do you want the chance to work with an amazing team where learning and thorough communication is an ongoing experience? Do you want to have the opportunity to mentor and coach a strong team to even greater heights at the same time as providing a critical service to the entire Town? If you are interested in a great work experience, we have an immediate opening for a:
Director of Planning and Development
ull time, 3 – 5 year Term
Reporting to the CAO, this position is responsible for:
Leading, managing and directing the Planning and Development Department to support the Town of Sylvan Lake’s Growth Vision, and Strategic Direction and its commitment to excellence in municipal government and customer service.
As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, you will lead the P&D Department with the primary goal of providing best customer experience for stakeholders and building a sustainable & growing community with an exceptional quality of life.
SUMMARY OF FUNCTION:
- Proactive leader in Town wide initiatives to strengthen communication, teamwork and efficiency across the organization.
- Responsible for the overall land use planning and development activities in the Town of Sylvan Lake and establishing the strategic direction of the department in alignment with the organizational direction.
- Ensure the entire department provides awesome customer service, with both internal and external customers
- Provide input for land development, directing ongoing needs assessments, analyzing and responding to community needs, leading, planning and recommending departmental strategic plans.
- Ensure a strong, positive working relationship with developers throughout the department.
- Monitors performance, provides ongoing feedback and completes reviews for assigned staff on a timely basis within the department to encourage continuous improvement and maintain high staff morale
- Oversees recommendations regarding amendments to the Land Use Bylaw.
- Responsible for the administration and management of all statutory documents, studies, reports and manuals that relate to planning and development issues, including MDP, ASP’s, and IDP’s.
- Oversee administration of all subdivision applications (includes initial consultation with developer, review of subdivision and development plans, overseeing the subdivision referral process, and preparation of planning reports for the Subdivision Authority).
- Overseeing planning and land use studies for the Town and joint planning studies with neighboring municipalities.
- In consultation with Public Works, ensure that Off Site Levies are current and adjusted on an annual basis.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Proven ability to build strong teams, and mentor employees to grow into their next promotional opportunity.
- Post-secondary Degree in Land Use Planning, Geography or Regional, Urban, City or Community Planning, or a related discipline (e.g. Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Geography, Urban Studies, Environmental Planning, Sustainability, Engineering)
- Minimum seven (7) years of experience in the planning field, with 5 years in a local government setting
- Considerable knowledge of principles of personnel management, including supervision, training and performance evaluation
- At least five (5) years in a supervisory or management role.
- Member of Canadian Institute of Certified Planners or equivalent is preferred.
- Considerable breadth and depth of knowledge of the Municipal Government Act, provincial planning and development regulations and related statutes
- Effective and persuasive leadership comfortable with all levels of staff, public and others
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the editing, oversight or preparation of technical reports and the presentation of information to government entities and various committees
- Considerable knowledge of the theory, principles and techniques of the planning profession and development process
- Considerable knowledge of federal, provincial, and local legislation, regulations and documents pertaining to a wide variety of planning topics
This is a terrific opportunity to work in a professional, team-focused environment. You have a strong desire to be major contributor to the success of a vibrant and growing organization. If you are up to the challenge of taking ownership and wanting to make a difference, this is an ideal situation. We offer competitive rates, a tremendous benefits package including an Earned Day Off program and an excellent work/life balance situation.
If this position intrigues you, please submit your resume in confidence specifying which position you are applying for by April 15, 2021, to:
Town of Sylvan Lake
5012 – 48 Avenue,
Sylvan Lake, AB T4S 1G6
Attention: Human Resources
F 403 887 3660