We have a fantastic opportunity for a Director, Economic Investment & Retention to join Lac La Biche County. They are an employer of choice and are looking to attract a champion that will attract new and innovative investments into the region. Outstanding interpersonal skills, teamwork, superior judgment, commitment, and decision making, will be key for this role to ensure the Countys success. This opportunity is ideal for someone who is looking to make the next step in their career to a Director level role. The County also offers transitional housing and will help the right candidate put down roots in the community.
Reporting into the CAO, the Director, Economic Investment and Retention will be part of the leadership team, and work closely with Council and other County Departments. The Director is responsible for leading all aspects related to the creation of economic growth in Lac La Biche County with the goal of enhancing the Countys fiscal sustainability and quality of life. The Director creates strategic and tactical plans to achieve Councils strategic objectives related to economic development and investment. The purpose of this position is to attract and retain commercial and industrial business while working within a municipal environment that promotes customer service, collaboration, and creativity between Council, County staff, and the business community.
Lac La Biche County is a community of choice in northeastern Alberta. You can find Lac La Biche County just 3 and a half hours north of Edmonton and was born out of the amalgamation of the Town of Lac La Biche and Lakeland County in 2007. With around 10,000 residents, the Countys main hamlets are Lac La Biche and Plamondon. Rolling farmland, panoramic lake views and tranquil forests are all right in the Countys backyard. This community is brimming with amazing amenities such as the Bold Center (a large recreation facility), multiple libraries and schools, campgrounds, provincial parks, boating, and great local businesses and restaurants.
To learn more, visit their website at: https://www.laclabichecounty.com/
Duties include but are not limited to:
Establishes and maintains strategic external and internal networks to support Economic Growth.
- Providing strategic and operational advice to the CAO and Council regarding programs and policies required to maintain economic competitiveness in Lac La Biche County.
- Promoting Lac La Biche County as a customer-centric business community.
- Supporting business growth through business development in Lac La Biche County.
- Establishing and maintaining connections with internal departments to ensure organizational alignment and support; making recommendations for process changes where applicable.
- Establishing and maintaining connections with commercial, industrial and residential real estate brokers, site selectors, lending institutions, developers and builders.
- Providing strategic direction for marketing of Lac La Biche Countys business advantages.
- Attending events to promote Lac La Biche County and meet potential clients.
- Establishing and maintaining positive connections with various government agencies and neighboring municipal economic development representatives.
- Acts as a liaison and coordinator to ensure all internal departments are aware of and provide appropriate support for business investment and retention.
Leads, manages, and directs department staff, and where necessary makes changes to department activities and/or programs.
- Guiding department staff and providing strategic direction to maintain focus on Councils goals.
- Ensuring the department provides excellent customer services to its businesses, prospective companies wishing to locate in the County and to all other user groups.
- Providing technical guidance and professional support to resolve complex community economic investment issues.
- Developing and implementing strategic planning initiatives to attract new businesses and retain and expand existing businesses to diversify the Countys economy and tax base.
- Reviewing department initiatives and goals with staff members; assigning and clarifying individual objectives, responsibilities and priorities.
- Monitoring performance of staff and provide coaching and feedback as required.
- Ensuring departmental job descriptions are kept up to date.
Leads department strategic planning and budgeting, to meet strategic goals while being fiscally responsible.
- Implementing related initiatives under Councils direction through the Strategic Plan.
- Strategically managing the departments priorities to ensure alignment with all plans and documents.
- Developing, coordinating, and monitoring department budget.
- Presenting department budget to Executive Committee and Council during review and approval process.
Prepares reports, recommendations and provides information in support of economic investment matters to ensure relevant and current data is collected and shared.
- Preparing submissions for Council and Senior Leadership.
- Reviewing the work of other Economic Development and Investment department staff prior to issuance of final reports and recommendations.
- Attending and presenting to Council and Committee meetings.
- Implementing directives from the Chief Administrative Officer.
Completes other duties as assigned to meet department and organizational needs and goals.
- Serving as a county representative on regional economic investment initiatives.
- Participating in council committees as required and providing support, information and assistance to assist them in achieving goals.
- Forwarding relevant items to Council where appropriate.
- This position requires a bachelors degree in Economic Development, Business (Commerce), Planning, Public Relations, or a closely related field.
- 5-7 years experience in a related field and 3-5 years related senior management or leadership experience.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
- Membership affiliations with organizations such as the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP), Economic Developers Association of Canada (EDAC), etc. Certified Economic Development (Ec.D) designation would be an asset.
- Proven experience and knowledge in business planning and working with multiple stakeholder groups and partners, government agencies, and community relations.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in strategic planning, business development success through to planning and implementation of strategies.
- Extensive experience in communication efforts and public relations with communities and partners.
KEY COMPETENCIES AND ATTRIBUTES
- Adaptability – Demonstrated willingness to be flexible, versatile, and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency.
- Strategic Thinking – Ability to assess options and actions based on trends and conditions in the environment, and the vision and values of the County.
- Relationship Building – Can establish/maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the Countys goals.
- Communicates Effectively Can speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough, timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Problem Solving – Can Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and processes relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make key recommendations and/or resolves the problem.
- Decision Making – Can assess situations to determine the importance, urgency, and risks, making clear, timely decisions that are in the best interests of the County.
- Leadership – Proven leadership skills in mobilizing municipal and rural stakeholder collaboration and partnerships.